Friday, May 10, 2013

The Animal Crossing: New Leaf Diaries - Day 1


Animal Crossing: New Leaf 3DS, thumbnail 1

Next month, Nintendo will launch Animal Crossing: New Leaf on the 3DS.

The Animal Crossing games have always had you live among a cosmopolitan microcosm of the animal kingdom, and used to leave you to lead a quiet life of luxury; plucking fruit, catching fish, and collecting furniture.

But that's all changed. In New Leaf, you're made mayor of the village as soon as you step off the train, and must take charge of your up and coming hamlet.

In this diary, then, you'll follow my rise from travelling vagabond to empire-building governor. You'll also be able to guide my journey, by suggesting tips in the comments below.

We'll have a full review later this month. But, for now, here's our daily diary of life in Kusanagi.

Day 1 - Thursday, May 9th

The long journey to my new home was already well under way. The click-clack of the railroad tracks hypnotically keeping the rhythm of my travels.

A charming blue chap by the name of Rover approached me, politely asked what the time was, where I was headed, and what my name was. So I readily handed over this information: I told him that my name is Xero, and my destination is the wonderful town of Kusanagi.

Kusanagi is a place I'd spent many glorious months in during previous years of my life, yet I hadn't visited for a long while and I thought it high time to rectify that.

If I had left Kusanagi due to an over familiarity with its environs - packing my bag and leaving to visit strange new lands filled with other adventures - then any fear of tedium setting in for this fleeting visit immediately vanished when I saw that the lie of the land had completely changed.

Or at least, that's how it appeared to me.

No sooner had I stepped off the train than I was greeted by a veritable parade of Kusanagi townsfolk, though no one I recognised. The welcoming committee gathered round me, and amidst the chatter, a yellow dog named Isabelle casually mentioned that they were excited to see their new mayor.



"I'm the mayor?" I thought, "but how can this be...? And just why does everything look different in Kusanagi from when I was last here?"

In hindsight I should have rejected the idea of taking on the daunting challenge of running a whole town, but in the confusion of my arrival something inside me compelled me to blurt out, "yes, I'll be your mayor!"

After being briefly shown the Town Hall it was off to Main Street - which is just past the train tracks I'd arrived on - and to meet Tom Nook.

Ah... Tom Nook... now there's a name I recognise. That man had nearly ruined me when I last lived in Kusanagi all those years ago, constantly tinkering with my home in exchange for cold hard Bells when I didn't ask for the renovations in the first place, and I certainly didn't have that kind of money.

Yet he didn't recognise me. Perhaps I really had been away from Kusanagi for too long.

So Nook and I went to find a piece of land to build my new residence upon, and when I had found the perfect spot - a peaceful and quiet area away from Main Street and by the tranquil ocean - he set up a tent for me to stay in for the night.

My day was far from over, even though I was getting extremely tired by this point. I needed my TPC (Town Pass Card) which acts as a form of ID for all the citizens of Kusanagi. I don't remember needing one of these last time I resided here, and it seemed a little authoritarian, but then the world was a very different place in 2006...

One last order of business before I could turn in for the night: the tree-planting ceremony in the Event Plaza. This I was told was to symbolise my arrival, and the new life I might breathe into Kusanagi - a sweet gesture, if ever there was one.

Completely pooped, I retired for the day.

Enjoying the journey? Got any tips for my stay in Kusanagi? Let me know by leaving a comment in the box below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment